Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Please Dear God Let Us Go Shopping


OK Spirit Boyz, its time to poney up some cash and make this team a real killer. The San Jose Sharks admitted today they are shopping for offers for Patrick Marleau and Jonathan Cheechoo. Two players who I would love to have on the Tharshers... only problem being I am not sure who I would be willing to part with to get them.
I definitely think we should go after Marleau since that really gives Kovy a true number one center that can dish and score like its nobody's business. Cheechoo I see as the second line right winger, if we can muster up some people for a trade.
Now the interesting thing is the sharks are at the limit capwise and have some serious negotiationg to do (via NHLnumbers.com). SO I wonder if the Thrashers could be smart and add their combined $9.8 million in salaries, while giving them some lower paying players, so we end up with a net of about $5 million gained. Yet again, who do we give up? Unless we give up future picks and Todd White, I'm not convinced we can make this happen. Could we target one, by all means, I hope so. I would really say, forget Maholtra for CBJ and focus on a trade for Marleau. I think it would be possible to get him for a 2nd round pick and Todd white
So some number crunching now... That would give SJS a $3 million reduction on their cap and adequitely find a replacement for him in a future draft. The flipside: The Thrashers finally get that true number once center that we needed since we lost Savard and maybe even more reason for Kovy to sign here longterm. My only concern is that Mr. Marleau is a free agent at the end of the year, could be dangerous.
So ASG, Don Waddell, Rick Dudley, time to put on your big boy pants and make some noise. Lets do this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment