Thursday, September 10, 2009

US Escapes T&T

World Cup 2010 is less than a year away and still I am nervious about the US Mens nation team. We are only one win away from securing a spot to the prestigious even, our lack of confidence and rhythm is what scares me. We literally escaped 1-0 to a much inferior Trinidad & Tobego team. If not for Tim Howard being brilliant as he usually is, the score of the game is easily 0-2 or 1-3. Watching parts of the game, we looked like deer in headlights trying desperately to keep up, but then would turn around and look like the team that was so surprising in the Confederations Cup.

Now Beyond this I want to say that Jozy Altidore and Charlie Davies should be our starting Strikers. That would be a strong pair that would give defenders fits and be able to strech even the best defenders to their max. You have the combination of size and speed that actually reminds me of Ronadihno and Ranaldo days of Brazil.

The main glaring problem the US has is in its central midfield. It has been painfully obvious the past three games that we have played. Michael Bradley is a talented player, but who is there in the middle with him? Stuart Holden has been making a nice push to get there, but I really hope that FIFA gets on that paper work for Jermaine Jones. Talk about a nice pre cup upgrade right there. That would definitely give the US some options and create a lot of internal competition.

We only have one true soft spot in the back and its the left back position. Now, Jay Demerit has shown flashes of brilliance with Onyewu but I wonder if we go back to Bocanegra with Onyewu if Demerit could keep up with the speedy wingers of the world.

If he could the US suddenly becomes a much more stable team for a few reasons: Our controlling central defense pair is back together, Demerit sees long break out passes very well, our midfield is finally balanced, and we have two scoring threats up top.

We don't need bother to talk about goalkeeper, Mr. Howard has that on lock, and is being touted by some Premier League coaches as having the skills and mental ability to be the worlds best goalie.

So a possible lineup I would like to see. Its a kew idea for the US since we usually run a straight 4-4-2 because I see it as more a 4-1-3-2 type set to allow for more attacking and stretching their opponents:

Howard
Cherundolo--Bocanegra--Onyewu--DeMerit
Clark*
Dempsey---Bradley---Donovan
Altidore--Davies
*Right now we will hold this place with Recardo Clark, but when Jermane Jones' paperwork clears this is where I see him fitting in since he is a talented ball winner and possesion player.
Feel free to give me some feedback on this, but keep in mind this is just to fix the problems I have seen the US being exposed to the past few games. Also, before everyone says I forgot Jose Torres, I know he is there but I see him being a big factor next World Cup. I am just not 100% convinced the young man is ready (I can not deny he is a smooth player and has a brilliant upside that US could desperately use).

No comments:

Post a Comment